Sunday, March 08, 2009

Kid-Free Time

A few weeks ago we tried a teenage babysitter for the first time. Other than official daycare and family, no one had watched the kids for us before. Lacey's old daycare provider, Miss Kim, has 3 daughters. The oldest is in college, the next (Alex) is 16 and the youngest is 15, I think. So, both the youngest ones babysit and I know they helped Miss Kim with the kids (played with the kids) when she ran the daycare.

Rather than try to have a teenager who the kids don't know get them to bed, we planned an afternoon date. We went to lunch and then to see He's Just Not That Into You. Very cute and so nice to get out.

Alex worked out great - both kids seemed to like her. She got Leah down for a nap without any crying or fighting, too. We're planning on doing this every 6 weeks or so. I don't think we can afford to do it more often. Although, we might alternate having Dee or Kristina watch them (if they can) with paying Alex or her sister.

Last weekend, we'd made plans to go to Bonefish (yum-o) with some friends of Butch's in Northern VA. I love that place. (Did I already say YUM-O?) It was good to see Victor & Mary, too. I don't know them very well, but they're sweet. The only negative thing (to me) is that they both play volleyball....which means that with 3 volleyball players, the conversation sort of kept going back to it. :-) I don't really mind...no interest, but I know Butch had fun.

Now that we've had those couple of dates, I can't wait to get out again. It's nice being able to have a conversation without having kids interrupt. As Leah keeps getting older, it's going to get much easier.
Publish Post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Aunt Dee Dee and Aunt Kristina can alternate babysitting for the little munchkins. (They don't push our buttons nearly as much as they push yours). :)