Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stomach Bug

Through Facebook on Tuesday, I learned that 2 of the daycare kids (siblings) were home sick. In fact, their whole family had it. When I picked up Lacey on Tuesday, Miss Lisa said that MK had been at daycare on Monday...and I guess it started Monday night. MK's sister came to daycare on Tuesday, but started with vomiting and diarrhea. Lots of exposure for all the kids. Miss Lisa ended up having taking M home because neither parent could come pick her up since the whole family was vomiting.

But, off we went to dance class and I tried not to think about it.

Wednesday, I was supposed to go to the office and was on my way in, when I had to turn around for a car issue (which I'll blog about later). I got home and came in to make some calls on my car. That's when I realized Lisa had left a message the night before...I guess while we were all in Leah's room...it said that she had started with diarrhea, but she was hoping it was something she eaten. While I was calling on something about my car, she called again. Still no vomiting, but making sure I'd gotten the message since I usually keep them home to avoid exposure when she's ill.

Because of my car issue, I had Butch turn around & pick up the girls to bring them home. He stayed home, too, so I had some flexibility with the car problem. I ran out for a 1:30 appt. on the car and Butch called at 1:45....saying Leah had vomited in her crib. Lovely. She'd probably done it awhile before since he'd laid her down for a nap at 1:00 and she was fussing off and on....probably saying "hello....I'm laying in puke".....

So, between that time & 3:40, it happened a total of 3x. She ended up eating crackers and drinking water through the evening...after a very short, 1 hour nap. She was so hungry & seemed fine for so long...we let her have a few bites of oatmeal later. Then, when I was rocking her at 8:00ish....everything came up. Yikes.

I changed her, thinking we were good. But, it happened again. We were out of clean sleepers, so I put her in some of Lacey's PJs that she'd outgrown. I told Leah she was getting big girl jammies and she smiled really big. Even after her rotton day and just throwing up, she still had a big smile. So sweet. She finally fell asleep in my arms and ended up sleeping through the night.

So far today, she's eaten yogurt, cheerios, bread and even had a little milk. I'm afraid to have high hopes, yet. But, I know from the others that it doesn't last more than 24 hours, so maybe we are done. Maybe. Send us some healthy vibes, okay?

Lacey hasn't had it...yet. I'm not keeping my hopes up there either. I heard from Lisa this morning and the only daycare kid that hasn't had it is Lacey. She is 1 of 7. Lisa said her husband even got a mild version. Lisa had it rough until 7:30 last night, but is only sore today.

Well, if everyone manages to stay healthy today....and if Lisa is open (and she's hoping to be), the girls will be back tomorrow. Lisa promised to scrub and disinfect everything again later today. I half-way want to keep them home just to keep Lacey away from it a bit longer. We'll see. I might end up doing that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sending gallons of good juju to you and the kids. Sounds like something I would NOT want to deal with. Good luck to all of you!

Aunt Annie