Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mice

Most of you already know that I have had a mouse problem in my car. About 4 weeks ago, I saw the first signs....a mouse had chewed through a plastic food container that had some peanut butter in it. He'd also left behind poop. I immediately cleaned everything out of my car, but found no other real food source. Then, I took it to be cleaned.

A bit later, a mouse had chewed up Leah's carseat cover......right where the crumbs are dropped. Some other things happened that made me wonder. Then, I met some friends for lunch 2 Sunday's ago and came out from the restaurant to find styrofoam everywhere. The kids' carseats have some styrofoam in the bottom. I knew then that they were traveling with me.

Butch bought some old school traps. (I should mention we'd already bought poison traps, but had no luck with those.) He set 2 traps on Monday evening -- both on the floor of the car -- one in front & one in back. Within an hour, the front trap had "caught" (broken the leg of) a mouse. Butch was playing volleyball, so I was on my own. We'd put down trashbags under the traps. So, I picked up the bag and carried the mouse (who was not running from me) to the woods and set the little disabled thing free to fend for himself against predators.

By the morning, the other trap had caught another...this time really caught him.

We forgot to set the traps on Tuesday evening.

Tuesday was St. Patrick's Day and a Leprechaun had visited Miss Lisa's while the girls were napping. He left little baskets of chocolate coins for them. Apparently, I forgot to bring one of those in on Tuesday.

When I got in my car Wednesday morning, the little basket was there....the EMPTY little basket. But, I thought "maybe I dumped the chocolates in Lacey's dance bag".....because certainly SOMEthing would be left behind. The gold foil, some chocolate. SOMEthing. About 2-3 miles from my house, the car was heated good....and I could smell the chocolate. I looked down at my feet and saw a very small amount of gold foil.

I turned around and went home since it HAD to be dealt with. I couldn't handle it anymore.

I ended up calling GEICO and found that this issue is covered by our policy. I took the car to the adjuster at 1:30. They agreed to replace the carseat and have the dash removed to check for damage. When that appointment finished, Butch called to say Leah had thrown up. So, the mouse problem waited another few days.

Well, except making the car smell like candy canes. I was told my a mechanic that mice hate peppermint. So, we bought peppermint oil & soaked cotton balls...which we placed all over the floor near the dash and on top of the dash. Hopefully, that chased them away.

I finally got the car to the shop on Tuesday evening. There was some damage - just one part that needs replaced. It was due to come in on Friday & they hope to have the car ready for me on Monday.

We ended up having to rent a car, though. Butch went to DE this weekend for a volleyball tournament and I need something to get to the airport tomorrow since I'm going to NY for a 2 day trip.

I really hope the stupid mice are gone. The mechanic didn't find any nest or see any mice (alive or dead).

Next up: having a tune up done to check for more damage and getting it detailed to get rid of all those mouse germs.

No comments: