Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Beginning of Cold & Flu Season

BLAH! Lacey had her first cold a few weeks ago. And (of course) gave it to me. Leah even had a little touch of it. Butch escaped. Lacey's experience was rough. She was fine in the evening, went to bed, woke crying at 10:00ish and it took a while for me to figure it out. Her nose was totally stuffed up & she couldn't breathe. All she wanted to do was sleep and she couldn't. I struggled to get a little Benadryl in her sometime in the wee hours (when I'd figured it out), but may have been lucky if I got 1/4 dose in her. The rest was all over her hair and PJs. We all had *maybe* 2-3 hours of sleep that night. I took her to the doc the next day b/c she's never had such difficulty sleeping with "just a cold", and I was worried it was an ear infection or strep. (It was a Friday and I wasn't heading into the weekend like that.) Lacey was a nightmare in the exam room.....screaming and fighting. The doc said she thought she had a sinus infection, so we got an antibiotic. She also prescribed Tylenol 3 (yes, you read correctly). She thought that Lacey's inability to sleep was likely caused by really bad sinus pain and thought Lacey was "beside herself with pain". We gave her the Tylenol 3 for 3 nights and were all able to sleep. The cold left. And, it left me a few days later.

This week, I got a sore throat (Monday) and realized on Tuesday that it was a cold....not just some random thing. Yesterday, Lacey was fine. Went to bed at 8:30, woke crying at 10:30 with a totally stuffed up nose. So, downstairs we went to watch Aladin (her new fav) and forced drugs into her. Decongestant. Benadryl. Motrin. And, Butch put the humidifier in her room. We managed to get her back to bed at midnight and she slept solid until 6:10. I sure hope she recovers quickly.

Now, if I'd been able to sleep for all that time, I'd be good. But, Leah woke at 11:00 (while LJ was still up); again at 3:15; and again at 5:15. And, my alarm had gone off at 4:50. So, I'm tired.

No idea what is up with Leah's sleep these last 4 nights. The first few, I was thinking growth spurt, but I would think she'd be settled back in by now. I hope this isn't a trend that continues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You all are starting early. I hope you don't have too many more "whatever" before winter even sets in. And Poor Lacey probably was in severe pain. Glad the Tylenol 3 helped even though it seems a little drastic for a such a little body. Take care.