Friday, March 05, 2010

Sleeping Arrangements….and Sleep

So, you are already aware that sleep has been rough in this house since December. Mostly it’s due to Leah. Though, it seems the nights that she sleeps well, Lacey wakes me up.

We had been planning to do some room shuffling since Leah was out of her crib. The “nursery” is typically pretty cold. It’s usually about 2 degrees colder than the rest of the upstairs in the winter. I think this is because it hangs over the garage by a few inches. Also…that room is the smallest one, so it makes sense that it should be the guest room. The plan was to move Lacey from her room to the existing guest room (biggest after the master); move Leah to Lacey’s old room; and make the “nursery” the guest room. (Got all that?)

But, with Leah’s sleep issues, we decided to put them in the same room in hopes that having Lacey there would help her sleep. Even when I was pregnant with Leah (and maybe before), I thought it would be nice to have them share a room (if our 2nd ended up the same gender). I wasn’t sure about making the switch, but Dee suggested it and it reminded me of my earlier thoughts….so we took a chance.

We also ended up buying Leah a full size bed so she’d have more space. (Of course, I have more space when I have to come in & lay down with her.)

We weren’t sure it would be a permanent thing. But, they both seem like they really enjoy being in the same room. No, it’s not really helping with the sleep problems that I can tell, but maybe that will come in time.

Up until recently, I was laying down with Leah to get her to go to sleep. I know, I know. A no-no. But, it got her to sleep. My intent was to leave when she was really groggy, but I have always been so tired that I fall asleep. Then, I wake up 45 min. later, exhausted and unable to do anything except go to my bed.

In early February, I decided I’d had enough. Leah (and Lacey) earn points if they go to sleep in their bed – without me (or Butch) in the bed, too. Leah usually lays on the floor next to me (while I’m on the laptop) for a while, but eventually she gets into her bed when I remind her of the points (and the prizes that come after earning those points). The 3rd night, she slept through the entire night. I was amazed, but skeptical. Good thing I was skeptical….because I think that's only happened once since then!

The room is PINK! And, we have pink Christmas lights draped over the closet door. That makes for an awesome night light. It’s quite cute and we have finally decided they are staying together. I think they’d both hate it if we separated them now. We ordered beds that are going to be delivered next week. I'm excited to see it more "complete". Then it will be time to start hanging pictures and things! (I'll include pictures once it looks complete.)

Even though the sleep isn’t better (yet), it’s nice being able to be on the computer for a bit in the evening. During the week I catch up on work emails. And, I’m not going straight to sleep after Leah falls asleep. I can actually stay up and watch a show if I want. And, strangely enough, I think my body is getting used to waking up 3-5 times a night. I hope it can get used to solid sleep again soon, though.

No comments: