Friday, March 05, 2010

Atlanta (via Fort Mill, SC)

We left December 27th to visit Steve & Marilee (and Cooper & Samantha). Butch had seen them in June, but I hadn’t seen them since December 2006. It’s unreal how time flies by. We decided to drive for many reasons. Airfare, flexibility of when to leave, being able to have our van (and car seats for the kids), etc. My friend, Tonya, lives in Ft. Mill, SC, which is a little more than halfway. We drove from our house to hers the first day….7 ½ hours. We stopped at a McDonalds about halfway down to let the girls play for a bit and get rid of that energy. Because of the short time we had for the whole trip, we had to get back on the road the next day. But, it was nice to stay the night at her house and get in a little visit. (Of course, with Leah’s sleep issues….and the fact that neither kid sleeps well when we travel…..I didn’t get much visiting time. I was out for the night when it was time to get the girls to bed.)

The drive from her place to Steve & Marilee’s was about 5 hours. Not too bad, right? We stopped at a Waffle House for lunch – because I’d never been to one. I thought it would be pretty good diner food….not so much. Oh well.

The last time Lacey & Samantha met, they were about 18 months old, so they had no memory of each other, yet they were fast friends. Inseparable from the start. They had a sleepover the very first night.

One of the nights while we were there, we went out to dinner. Steve & Marilee had hired a babysitter. I knew my kids wouldn’t go to sleep easily with someone new…in a new place, but it was worth some adult time. Dinner was great…as was the wine. J But, I was entirely too full to enjoy a drink after dinner. That was annoying since we headed to a bar after dinner.

When we got back to the house, we headed downstairs to the family room area….but that is past the area where the kids were “sleeping”. As soon as Leah heard us, she was calling for me. It actually worked okay for me since I was so tired and so full. I was able to get to bed without feeling too guilty. (I may have it rough with sleep at home, but it’s worse when traveling with them!)

Marilee & I took the girls to see Princess & the Frog – awesome movie. Leah came with us because I knew she’d feel left out from the girls if she didn’t. She fell asleep (thankfully) about 30 min. into the movie.

We had a nice time catching up with them and letting the kids get to know each other. I wish they didn’t live so far away. The trip was too short (only 3 nights there), but we wanted to get home a couple of days before having to return to work. So….off we drove to Ft. Mill on New Year’s Eve.

We stopped on our way to Tonya’s to see a friend of mine that I know from an online mom’s message board. I’ve “known” Becky for about 2 ½ years and wanted to see her in person since she lived somewhat close to Tonya. It ended up being pretty far out of the way, but it was still good to meet her and her husband….and kids….and see their house.

We didn’t get to Tonya’s until around 7:30. Dinner was frozen pizza….easy & perfect! I had intentions of getting my monsters to bed and staying up with Butch, Tonya & Ben. No luck. I fell asleep getting my kids to sleep. When I woke (around 11:00), everyone else was in bed!

We left fairly early the next morning since it’s nearly an 8 hour drive home. The drive home was much worse than the drive down! Everyone was tired and cranky and tired of being in a car.

We stopped at Cracker Barrel! That food is so good. Full of calories and fat, but yummy! Then, we were back in Maryland. You know that feeling when you are so ready to be home? We had it. But, we had to stop at the grocery store for milk! Ugh. While Leah & I were in the store, Butch & Lacey picked up Ledo’s pizza. At least we didn’t have to cook.

It was a great trip….but there is nothing like your own bed.

No comments: