Thursday, March 13, 2008

Binky....Pacifier.....

Lacey still loves her "binks". I'm considering going cold turkey and saying that we forgot them at Grandma and Poppy's house in Pittsburgh. That way, when we come back, oh well. I'm afraid, though!

Here is a post from a message board that I visit. It was quite funny and I hope she doesn't mind that I'm sharing. She titled it "Pacifier Throwdown". :-)

My daughter is a finger sucker. Not a thumb sucker or a pacifier user. She sucks her middle two fingers; I find it endearing.

For her first two weeks of life she took a pacifier, then gave it up forever. For a while, she would suck her wrists at night. From the bassinette it made a hilarious smacking sound. Finally she settled with the fingers.

The pacifier went into the memory box and it's been there for three years. Last night she found it. She recognized what it was and thought it was for her baby dolls. I explained that it was hers when she was a little baby. She put it into her mouth and gave it a try.

Instant addiction. I could see it in her eyes. I told her to put it back into the box and she was compliant, but then she took it out again.

Back into the box. Box on shelf. She suggested we keep the box in her bedroom instead. Knowing her for three years, I could spot that ruse a mile away. "You just want the box so you can use the pacifier." Deny, deny, deny.

She found a stepstool and got the box. Dug out the pacifier and popped it in her mouth. This time when I told her to put it back, she used slight of hand - she only pantomimed putting the pacifier back in the box. It was in her pocket.

Prestidigitation aside, and I do appreciate her effort, that pacifier was not going to be hers. I took it from her pocket and she snatched it off of me. Back into the mouth it went and she scrambled under the bed.

Always under the bed. Always, always. I'm going to attach a mop head to that child and make like it's medicine time... turn spring cleaning into a thing of the past.

So I fish the child out from under the bed but she takes off. She's quick. Wiley. And I'm a little bit stuck under the bed, so I had that slowing me down. I finally tracked her down; she was hiding in a closet happily sucking on that dang pacifier. I did the only thing a mean, evil mommy would do in my situation. I pulled it out of her mouth and put it too high for her to reach.

Left with no other option, she resorted to the final weapon of threedom. Screaming, crying, shaking, clawing and writhing on the ground. The sound of a parents' job well done. (Commonly heard only moments before my very own heart rips in two.)

2 comments:

Simply Shannon said...

That is a rather humorous story!
Hope everyone is feeling healthy again!

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for being afraid! She is a trip with all of her binky's. But you gotta do it sometime.
Dee