Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Church, Leah's Doc Appt, ......

We hadn't made it to church since Christmas Eve and were feeling the need to get our butts in gear. On Sunday, we got organized and made it. We were 10 minutes late....I never wanted to be That Family, but oh well. We went. And, I'm happy with that. It was the non-traditional service that is less structured and it's easier in my mind to be late to that. The girls were angels. No joke. Lacey wanted to go to the nursery (nerf-ery) as soon as we arrived, but 5 min. later, Butch came back in with Lacey...she changed her mind. She has never has liked the lady who does the nursery for that service. Anyway, she played with the bookmark in the hymnal (the nice colored strings). After the service, a few people commented on how good they were. Made me feel good for having made the effort.

The associate pastor was there that day - no sign of the head pastor - and I was happy for that since it means service runs for a "normal" time rather than super long. The message was interesting and I think I probably took it a little differently than how Sue meant it. However, she focused on baptism and what that means. Having spent an hour with Pastor Ann last fall before Leah's baptism, I know that Ann thinks it means you go to church and promise to bring your child up in the church. Sue's message on Sunday focused a lot on other ways that you can serve God - including doing good things in your community - perhaps even fighting The Man (my words) when they are trying to do things that may impact the environment in a bad way. It was basically how I feel about being a Christian --- I don't believe that you have to attend church to do God's work. I fully believe that we can do good things in the world that God would be pleased with without going to a weekly service. Having said that, I think we get things from a weekly service that help us to stay focused, but I do not think it is totally necessary. Anyway, I'm sure this isn't what Sue's intention was....for us to walk away with that thought.....but it spoke to me. Okay......that is my religious rant for the year.

Leah had her 6 month well visit on Monday. She weighs 17 lbs 13 oz. and is 27" long. About 75th percentile for both, I think. Dr. Jill was pleased with everything and said that Leah's not rolling over is nothing to worry about. It appears that Leah simply does not want to be on her tummy. :-) And, since she cries so much when placed on her tummy, she's not there often enough or long enough to learn to roll to her back. Oh - and her sleep issues....Dr. Jill confirmed my initial thought.....Leah is drinking what she needs at daycare (7-10 oz. in 9 hours) to avoid being too hungry or dehydrated, but she is saving up to nurse from me because she would much rather have me. Very sweet....but I'm tired. I guess I'll just live with it for now. I'm not ready to let her cry it out in the middle of the night. She's our last baby and I'm okay letting her be a baby for now.

She got 4 shots and 1 oral vaccine. Since one of the shots is for multiple diseases, she was vaccinated for SEVEN things. Ugh. I wish I would have thought to ask to do it in 2 visits. That is a lot for a little body. She woke up at 10:30 screaming, nursed, then back to sleep until 1:00 a.m. Then, more screaming, Motrin, nursed and back down until 6:00. This morning she had a fever of about 100-100.5*. I hope it gets out of her system soon so she's happier.


I picked up the girls around 2:15 today because Miss Lisa's dad was taken to the hospital. He was unresponsive, but I don't know more than that. He has alzheimer's and it's apparently gotten a lot worse recently. This is the 2nd person that I know (recently) with such a progressive alzheimer's. Such a sad disease.

Brady's latest chew toys have been the window sill in the living room and the cuffs of a pair of my jeans. Ugh. So, we put the baby gates up and she's stuck in the area I'm in during my work @ home days so I can keep a closer eye on her. Lacey is now afraid of her because she likes to nip when she plays and she nipped Lacey's arm the other day. It doesn't hurt at all....Brady has gotten my chin a few times. But, it was enough to freak Lacey out. I really hope we get past that soon. Lacey doesn't want to be on the floor with Brady around. I have the family room blocked off this afternoon so Lacey can play in there without fear of the dog. Ugh.

I have a work function to attend on 2/8 - a gala for a client. It's actually a nice event and they usually have good speakers, but it is THE LAST thing I want to do on a Friday night. It's in DC, so by the time I get home from this, it will be 11:00ish. Yuck. In addition, it means I had better get serious about weight loss so I have something to wear to this thing! I refuse to buy something new in a bigger size for something like this!!!! Only 5 pounds and I'd be happy enough. (This is where you say "put down the M&M's, Tricia" or "put down the cookies". Man, I have a sweet tooth!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Leah-Lou. Hopefully she'll be her happy self again soon. Yay for Lacey being an angel at church. Try taking a coloring book and crayons. I see little ones do that alot in church. And I don't like Lacey being afraid of Brady. :( I hope that passes soon.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to comment on "nerf-ery." You should start a book called Lacey's Terminology. It would be hilarious. Steckita, Jasma'am, basebant, Cindalella, Eeah. Love that kid.