Monday, January 07, 2008

Brady

I don't know if I've mentioned on the blog that we adopted a puppy. She is a black lab/terrier mix and was about 29 lbs when we got her. She's gotten a bit more plump, but isn't expected to get big. Her name is Brady.

Here is Brady with Leah:

Brady & Lacey taking a rest:

We've learned that lab hair is quite different from Frisbee's hair. Lab hair is coarse and wirey (sp?). It gets on everything and doesn't "shake off". Fris used to sleep with us & it was never a problem b/c he shed some, but it was fluffy hair. We kicked Brady out of the bed after the first bit of laundry that I folded on the bed ended up covered in her hair (and wouldn't shake off....had to be picked off).

Just this week, we decided she is also kicked off of the furniture. We ordered another dog bed to keep in the family room for her so she has a comfy place to lay. I love her dearly, but am not dealing with that hair everywhere. It weaves its way into fabrics. In fact, I think we are very seriously considering buying the Dyson pet vaccuum now. We've talked about it before, but with the hefty price tag ($500+) have ruled it out. But, it is supposed to be awesome, and it might be more needed now. We'll see.

What other Brady news? She likes to chew up the kids' toys. She chewed one of Lacey's pacifiers, chewed up one of the Little People, chewed up Lacey's tooth brush and has chewed (and eaten) the hand off of one of her dolls. Ugh. Keep in mind, she is crated when we are away. She manages to get into these other things (usually) on my work from home days. She just wanders around getting into trouble. So, if she doesn't find a way to behave, we may end up putting baby gates up to keep her confined to just the few rooms I'm in during work hours.

Lacey really likes to play with her. It's sort of nice having a new puppy "grow up" with the kids. Frisbee never really understood how to play with Lacey. Brady is learning quick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to say "I told you so." ;>) Puppies are worse than babies! But she's very sweet. The chewing up stuff shouldn't last past age 3 - I'm serious, that's what I've heard with Labs. But they're great dogs if you can get past that stage. The shedding you'll just have to learn to live with. From your petless sister.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to be another "negative" Dee, but we had a friend visit one year with a black lab - two years later I was still vacumning up black dog hair. And yes, they are wonderful pets once they hit the age of 3 or 4 or 5, but before that, you've got a lot to deal with. But she is very pretty and probably will be very good with the kids.

Anonymous said...

But look at that cute little face. ;>) I'm sure she'll be worth it.

Anonymous said...

Of course she will - they always are in the end. . . . . .

Anonymous said...

I can't say anything b/c I shed just as bad as Brady and you have to pick my hair off too and not just brush it away :) Seriously, though, Brady is a sweetheart and I'm happy that she's a member of the familia. When my old roommates dog lived w/me (who is part lab) there was always dog hair everywhere. It's gross but you get used to it. The chewing, on the other hand, will drive you crazy. But at least that'll eventually stop :)