Saturday, December 08, 2007

Frisbee 2000 - 12/8/2007

Well, he was doing somewhat better yesterday and we expected to bring him home today. However, he took a turn for the worse overnight. We spoke to the vet around 9:15 this morning and she said that he needed a blood transfusion if we were to continue. She agreed, though, that it was a gamble. He simply wasn't responding well. I asked about bringing him home for the weekend, but she didn't think he would last until Monday. We decided to euthanize him today and to do it there so he wasn't stressed any further.

When we got to the vet around 11:30, he didn't even wag his tail or lift his head. He was so anemic from all of the fluids he was receiving that he was too weak. And, even with all the fluids, his kidney counts didn't ever get very low. We spent several minutes petting him and talking to him.

It was heart-breaking to let him go. I can't believe that my fun-loving 7 year old goofy dog is now gone. I know we did the right thing in letting him go, but I'm just so angry that he got so sick in the first place.....from a freakin' tick.

We will miss him tremendously. It has already felt strange over the last few days with no barking and no one licking up our messes on the floor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Fris. That certainly was fast and not expected. You will miss him, I know. He was such a good boy - except for his barking but hey, we all have our vices. ;>) Other than that, he was darn near perfect. I'm sorry that had to happen to him and to you guys. :(

Anonymous said...

Poor Hamilton family. I'm so sorry about Frisby. I didn't even get to know him, and I still cried when I read your blog (which was just now, at 3:12 p.m. on Monday). Glad both my bosses are out. That was awfully fast, but as the cliche goes, at least he didn't suffer for a long period of time, and that's a good thing.
Hugs & Kisses :(

Anonymous said...

Like Aunt Annie, I just cried (semi hysterically) reading that. My mom had told me about it already and I cried then too. Fris was the sweetest!!! I'm so sad that he's gone. I'm so sorry Tricia!!! He will definitely be missed :(