Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Tough Weekend

Lacey had a cold for nearly 2 weeks and she had been on Benadryl at night the entire time. We only gave a full dose 1 or 2 nights. Most of the other nights, we only gave a 1/2 dose. I hate giving her that stuff, but we all need sleep. She has a hard time coming off of it since she's used to having drugs to help her sleep. On Saturday night, we agreed that no matter what we would not give her Benadryl. We got her to bed around her normal time (8:15ish) and she cried. And she cried. And cried some more. We decided just to play and read with her until she was ready to crash. So, finally at 10:20, she fell asleep in my arms and slept through the night. Of course, this didn't mean that she slept later than normal. She was still up at 6:00ish. Ugh.

On Sunday she took a very early nap, but no longer than usual. She slept well on Sunday night. On Monday, she was driving me insane. I was trying to clean and do things aroung the house, but she would scream when I left the room. I finally had a breakdown. I don't think I've done that since she was a newborn. Then, I felt bad because she kept saying "mama cry...why mama cry". BECAUSE YOU ARE DRIVING ME NUTS! Thankfully I have a husband that doesn't mind cleaning, so he took over everything I was doing and I just hung out with her. She ended up going down for a nap around 9:30.......it's normally not until 1:30. She was just exhausted still. So, then I felt bad about not realizing that.

Anyway, she was a different kid when she woke up. She & I went to the pottery painting place that afternoon (our tradition for her birthday) and she painted a dinner plate and a tile to hang on her wall. It's amazing what a little sleep can do for a kid.

No comments: