Thursday, February 14, 2008

This Past Week

Last Friday I attended the gala I had mentioned before. It was nice and (happily) went by more quickly than usual. It seems like they gave fewer awards. Tiki Barber was the guest speaker. And, Lindsay Czarniak was the MC. I like her, so that was cool. I got home around 11:00ish.

Saturday, Agnes & Trampas arrived around noon. We just hung out all afternoon....tending to sick kids. Dee & Kristin came over around 5:00ish to babysit for us while we went to dinner at The Tides. Mmmmm. It's expensive, but good. And, since we rarely go to out to eat, we deserve it. :-) Ag & Tramp left on Sunday morning around 10:00 since it's about a 7 hour drive and he had to get up for work at 3:30 a.m. Monday morning.

It's good that they left that early since Leah was so sick. As soon as they were gone, I packed up the diaper bag and took her to the After Hours place. They diagnosed her with bronchiolitis and said she might even have pneumonia, but without a chest x-ray (which couldn't be done on Sunday), they didn't know. So, they put her on 4 meds. Yes. 4. Cefdinir (antibiotic), Albuterol, Prednisolone and over the counter Claritin. She slept horribly that night.

Since they suggested she see her regular ped on Monday, we went to see Dr. Jill. Thankfully, Dr. Jill took her off Prednisolone and Claritin. She said that they had either overreacted or that Leah had improved quickly. Then, I read more about Albuterol and was amazed at the side effects. I'd read them all the day before, but since they'd said "possibly pneumonia", I wasn't messing with it. After Jill's more relaxed view, I decided to take her off the Albuterol (it was for "as needed" anyway). Good decision. She (and I) slept SO MUCH BETTER Monday night.

Lacey has been fighting a cold for a couple of weeks now. I kept her & Leah home Monday & Tuesday. At daycare, they go outside at around noon to get one girl on the preK bus. I wasn't crazy about 2 little ones with lung and cold issues being outside since we were having a cold snap.

On Tuesday, Lacey started with a low-grade fever. But, she wasn't letting me check her temp in her left ear (ear infection?), so I took her to the After Hours place that night. During the rain/ice. Blah. Ears were clear. "Just a cold". But, we at least got an Rx for a nice decongestant/cough med that allowed her to sleep much better.

Since Lacey was still dealing with a fever, we kept her home again on Wed. Butch stayed home that day and I went to the office. Leah went to daycare.

This morning, I was really thinking everyone would be back in daycare. But, it wasn't meant to be. Lacey had eye discharge. Pink-eye. Back to the pediatrician at 10:00 where he confirmed pink-eye and wrote an Rx for an antibiotic. Hooray! Kill those germs! He said he thinks she's had a sinus infection, which lead to the pink-eye. She's been given the okay to go back to Miss Lisa's tomorrow.

Whew. What a week.

Butch has today off due to "snow". This is a joke since it was barely an inch. He went into the office this a.m. to do a few things, but has been home this afternoon so I can work more easily. He's running the veggies and dip to Miss Lisa's for their afternoon Valentine's Party that Lacey can't even be at. And, I've promised her that we'll make cupcakes.

Tonya will be in town for work on Friday and was planning to stay the night with us. But, now her parents are coming for a somewhat unexpected visit and she is trying to get home Friday night.

Butch was supposed to go to DE to play in a volleyball tourny, but (thankfully) volunteered to stay home since we've had such a rough week and the kids aren't really better yet.

I don't think we'll be doing much of anything this weekend other than catching our breath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those poor babies (and you poor parents)! :( What a week! I hope they get better this weekend.

P.S. Lisa Czarniak has my dream job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would LOVE to do what she does. Lucky woman!

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone is feeling lot's better! And I told Kristin to major in broadcast journalism! She should've listened to her mother! ;>)

Anonymous said...

Another couple of years and things should start easing up for you - don't you hope so?? Hope everyone recoups this weekend, especially in time for the B/D party. Wish I could be there.