Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lacey....potty training (no) and big bed (no)

Well, I think we have decided that we aren't even going to mention the potty or the bed. Apparently, when Lisa brings up the potty, Lacey "frowns". And, we've had no success here either....other than her wanting to sit on it for 5 seconds so she can waste TP and flush. ;-) She is content to sit in a diaper that is so wet it will soak through...she won't tell us and she fights getting changed. When she's pooped, she'll usually tell us, but not always cooperate for a change. When she is naked for a bit after her bath, she'll ask for a diaper when she has to pee. We've suggested the potty and it's "no momma...diaper change!". And, then, the diaper fills up a ton...so she can totally hold it.

About the bed....still no interest. I ask almost every night "crib or bed?" and she always wants the crib. We were going to force it in another month or so, but I'm starting to think that we'll end up with big issues if we do.

I've thought she was adapting so well with Leah....and I think she is....but I'm also seeing some issues there. If she is really tired (5:00 a.m. for example), and Leah wakes, I'll say "I need to feed Leah" and she'll jump into my arms crying.

Why, you ask, am I up with her at 5:00 a.m.? Because we are having big sleep issues with Lacey now. She wakes almost every night sometime before midnight and then wakes again around 4:00 or 5:00. At that point, I've taken her to our bed a couple of times because she won't go back to sleep. And, I can't stay in her room because I can't hear Leah in there (over Lacey's white noise machine). And, she's normally wanting "momma" and not Butch. I think she has realized she can get my undivided attention at these times. Which makes me feel bad about not giving her enough attention during the day. This weekend, Lacey & I are going to the Amish market by ourselves and leaving Daddy & Leah at home. Next month, I'm going to take a day off to take her (by herself) to the fair. I'm going to try to be better about some of that stuff. It's hard with breastfeeding, but she is obviously missing me.

Anyway......back to the main point of the post. No mention of potty or bed for 2 weeks. I want to give it a complete rest before attempting any discussion again. A friend recently said that there was something to be said about waiting until the toddler is ready for potty training. She waited on her son (who is a few weeks older than Lacey) and had it done in just a few days. I hope it is that easy for us when the time comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you love always getting everyone's advice but for what it's worth, here's mine:
Potty training - I wouldn't force it unless it's really annoying you. Lacey's potting training time just happened to coincide with new baby time which isn't the greatest timing. So I don't think it's hurting anything to wait a while on that. If she's 3 and not potty trained, I'd start pushing the issue.
Big girl bed - I'd move Leah to the pack-n-play when she needs to move and let Lacey keep her crib for a while, as long as Leah will sleep in the pack-n-play. And when the time comes that Leah "needs" the crib, I'd just do it. I know you don't want to "steal" Lacey's bed from her but kids adjust. You know I'd never be allowed to buy another crib since I live with Mr. Frugal. ;>)
Bottom line is: do what you want. They're your kids and whatever you decide is fine!