Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Toonces Update

When we got back from OBX, I realized that Toonces was looking very thin again, so I weighed him. He was back down to 5.5 pounds again. I called the vet and had to wait about 2 weeks for an appointment. He was looking even smaller on Sunday, and not eating hardly at all. So, back on the scale again - this time about 4 pounds. I was able to move the vet appt. from Wednesday (today) to Monday, thankfully. My poor boy's kidneys are failing. The vet thinks they are probably about 70% shut down. He doesn't eat b/c his kidneys aren't flushing out all the bad things and it makes him feel sick.

So, the vet sent us home with some fluids, which I give him each day. It's like an IV bag. I put a needle under his skin and let the fluids run in for a few minutes. He seems to be doing a little bit better already. He won't be cured, but at least he feels better. The vet had given me a recipe for a homeade diet that's low protein -- and it is rather gross. Plus, Toonces is smart enough to eat all the meat and leave the rice - not good since it's supposed to be low protein. So, my friend (a vet tech) is sending me some special canned food to give him instead. She said she's known cats that lived for months with the fluids, so as long as it isn't stressful to Toonces or to us, just to keep that up. There is a part of me that thinks it is just his time, but until things get worse, I can't make that decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Toonces. But, he's had a very good kitty life. And it's a hard decision to make. As long as he seems happy and it doesn't bother you to give him the shots, then do that for a while. You know it's inevitable, but maybe you're just not ready yet.

Anonymous said...

This is why Stephen says we are not having any more pets. It's just too hard when they get older and you have to make these decisions. And Toonces has had a very good kitty life, as Dee said and when you're ready you'll know it.