Thursday, February 09, 2006

Chai Lattes

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about money and budgeting. We are planning to finish our basement this spring. And, we are waiting on our living room furniture to be delivered soon (which we'll have to pay the balance on). And, we want to get bedroom furniture so I don’t feel like we're living in a dorm room with everything mismatched. So, that’s obviously a lot of spending. Which is why money is on my mind. Oh, and our cable internet bill went up, too. And, our electric bill has been insane this winter. You get the picture.

I was standing in line for my Chai Latte yesterday morning and started to calculate the money that I spend on those each month. I only work in the office 3x a week, so that’s about how often I get my “treat”. It’s at least $3.69 per drink. If I get it with soy milk – which I’ve been doing to be healthy – it’s 50 cents more. So, I just assumed $4….3x a week. I’m spending $40-50 a month on a morning drink. And, it’s mostly a habit. I think I have to walk downstairs to buy that wonderful tasting thing every day I come to the office. Even if it’s raining, I’ll cross the street to Bread & Chocolate to get it.

And, no….the store bought brands are not the same. There are some that are good. But, they are not nearly as good as getting one done “right”.

So, I resisted the urge this morning. I did NOT go get one. Yet, I am thinking about how tasty it would be. And if I don't stop typing about it and get to work, I'll probably take the elevator...cross the street....and spend over $4 on a tasty drink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what are you working for "for yourself" -- not for your house, not for your husband, not for your child, but for yourself??? You're the one doing the work - don't you think you deserve to spend $4 3x a week on yourself?!? For 30 years, I bought my breakfast EVERY morning because the way I look at it, it's my butt that is getting busted every day and I, at least, deserve that much for myself. So there, go buy your treat 3x a week! You're worth it. (Make a new commercial to replace that other "I'm worth it."

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'll be the person in the middle - that's what I always am! You need to decide what's most important - the new furniture, the finished basement, etc. or the chai lattes. Bucky would tell you not to buy that chai latte because he is,ummm to put it nicely, frugal. All of the things you read on saving money and budgeting would tell you not to buy that chai latte for the same reason you figured out on your own - how much it costs you every month. I always say if you feel you can afford it, then buy it. Hmmmm.....decisions, decisions. How about this? You get one a week istead of three and it feels like a "real" treat! A compromise!