Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lacey Started Pre-K!

In April, I had registered Lacey for school. But, Pre-K in public schools here is really designed to help kids that need it (financial, ESL, etc.). So, Lacey was considered category 3 and we weren't sure she would get in.

Her friend, MK had gotten in (she had been a premmie). Leading up to MK starting, I was telling Lacey that MK would be going to school and we didn't know if she had a space, yet. She wasn't happy about that! So, I was glad when we found out there was a space for Lacey! She started on Tuesday.

I wasn't sure how she'd do. She has always been so shy. But, the last month or so, I've noticed her coming out of her shell more. She did better at dance class and gymnastics class. I was debating on whether I should go watch her get on the bus.....or if that might make her more nervous. I went.

I also wasn't sure how Leah would do. Everytime we talked about school or the bus, Leah would say "me, too!". Um, you aren't old enough. Sorry kiddo. But, she did okay. Of course, she now insists on taking a book bag/back pack to Lisa's every day.
Listening for the bus....
Lacey & her "best buddy" MK:

She did great! Climbed right on with no fear!
Sniffle, sniffle. I was close to crying, but stayed in check because Miss Lisa was there. Honestly, I'm sure I would have lost it if she wasn't.

Her class is afternoon, so she is no longer getting a nap! It's been 5 days with no nap. You'd think she'd be passing out by 8:00. Nope. Still fighting sleep. One night she fell asleep around 9:05, but that has been the earliest. I was talking to another mom at the open house last week & she said her son had fallen asleep before 6:30 that night.

On Wednesday, I went to my first Open House. The only bummer about it is that they prefer you don't bring kids, which makes sense (noise level). But....after the "meeting", there wasn't anyone in the classroom to show us around. So, the parents that brought their kids had a tour guide, but I didn't. I just wandered for a couple of minutes. I got to see the dress up area that Lacey talked about. And, I saw her cubbie. She is the only kid in Pre-K with a name beginning with L. I thought that was odd.

Lisa was closed on Thursday & Friday (knee surgery). Lacey didn't want to go to school, so I told her the police would come get me if she didn't go. She got dressed then. She was like that again at the school, but she went in. Poor Leah didn't get much of a nap because by the time I got home, there was only about 90 min. before I had to get Leah up to pick up Lacey. So, on Friday when Butch was home with them, we decided she could ride the bus from Lisa's. It at least gives some extra time for Leah's nap. Turns out that MK was riding the bus from there, too. (We can't change the stops or the bus at this age.)

So....1st week of school is done. She did great and I'm so proud of her! Of course.....she already has a cold. It literally started last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the first day of school the pits? I remember Bink's first day - and it was, oh my Lord, how many years ago - I forget. But I remember standing at the end of the road, holding it together until she got on the bus, the bus pulled out and she was at the back window waving like crazy. That's when I lost it! - Ha. So funny now. Something like 28 years ago!

Aunt Annie