Monday, April 14, 2008

Kramer

Kramer (14 years old) has been losing weight. Yes, I have been thinking "here we go again". He used to be about 15-16 pounds. We noticed the weight loss couple of months ago, but since he was holding at about 10-11 pounds, I hadn't rushed him to the vet. There were way too many things on my to-do list. But, I finally got him in last Wednesday. They took blood and urine to run some tests. On Saturday, we found out he has hyperthyroidism. I was so relieved to here it is something treatable and that he doesn't have kidney disease. I've had enough of that.
They prescribed meds for him and since he doesn't do pills, it was called into our local pharmacy to be "compounded" into a liquid that tastes like chicken. :-) Of course, it's not like he'll drink it, but I feel better holding him down and squirting it in his mouth.
In 2 weeks, we have to go back for more blood work to make sure the doseage is okay. Sometimes they need to adjust it a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Kramer. But another reason I shouldn't get anymore pets. I'm too lazy. Just keep me away from the cute little puppies and kittens and I'll be fine.
Dee

Anonymous said...

Aww...I'm glad it's not heartworms! I don't know if you're little heart (or mine) coulda taken that!