Thursday, July 19, 2007

An Update

Things are going pretty well. Leah is a better sleeper than Lacey was, but I am still nursing her every 2-3 hours or so at night. Sometimes I get a 3.5 hour stretch of sleep. But, she has slept (for the most part) in her bassinet from the start. Lacey only slept ON ME for the first 6 weeks of her life.

I'm thinking of moving her to her own room to see if she'll sleep longer. She is NOISY....grunts and groans quite a bit. So, even when she's sleeping, we aren't necessarily getting that benefit! I tried her in her room last night, but she wouldn't settle, so I brought her back to our room.

She is gaining weight well. She was 10 pounds, 2 ounces yesterday. She is also starting to look a little chunkier.....filling out a bit. Still wearing 0-3 month clothes, though. ;-)

I started pumping today.....in hopes of going to see Harry Potter with Butch soon. (I'm so excited about that movie. And.......quite excited about the book! I preordered it from Amazon, so I'll have it on Saturday. Of course, I won't get to read it right away because Lacey's daycare is closed Monday through Wednesday next week, so we'll be busy around here.)

Lacey was home from daycare last week - because she was closed for vacation. It was tough since she is still adjusting to sharing us (me). Lacey went to visit Aunt Kristina and Jessica on Monday morning to get good one on one attention and give us a break. Grandma & Poppy (Nancy & Chuck) came down on Wednesday and stayed through Tuesday morning. So, she had lots of attention from them, too. Of course, it's not the same as Mommy, though, and there were a few minor meltdowns.

She has been super sweet with Leah. If anything, OVERLY sweet. She wants to help a lot - including trying to change Leah's diaper. And, she is very concerned when Leah cries. But, with the time that breastfeeding is taking, it's hard on her. I've thought a few times about switching to formula just b/c of the time issues, but that wouldn't be fair to Leah. And, I don't *really* want to stop. Hopefully, Leah will move to eating every 3 hours (rather than 2 during the day) soon and it won't seem so crazy.


The other difficult time is in the middle of the night. Lacey is typically waking up 1-2 times (she was before Leah's birth, too) and usually wants me. Unfortunately, her wakings tend to be close to a time when Leah needs to eat, so I don't go to Lacey.


The guilt felt at being a Momma is insane. I am not sure how anyone has lots (and lots) of kids and manages to give them all deserved attention. I think 2 is plenty for us. I want to enjoy them both! Enough about guilt!

It's been really nice having Butch at home! He's off until August 20 and it's amazing how much easier it is to have a newborn with someone else around to help. Of course, it's easier since she is our 2nd child, too.

We are hoping to meet up with some of Butch's friends (married with a kid) in early August in Baltimore - either at the zoo or aquarium, if it's a hot day. I've been wanting to take Lacey badly. Maybe if we go to the aquarium, we'll go to the National Zoo in the fall sometime.

No comments: