Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Toonces 1990-Sept. 25, 2006

It's been a very sad several days. Over the last week, we've found big areas of pee in the sunroom and assumed that Toonces was having a hard time getting all the way to the litter box. On Saturday, I realized it was worse than that. He was just peeing wherever he was laying....and then barely moving out of the way. He did it twice on Saturday. I know it must not have been nice to be so sick and weak that you can't even move away from it.

So, on Monday morning, I called the vet. And, waited for a call back for about 5 hours. At that point, I think I had already decided that it was time. Every time that day I started to change my mind, I'd find Toonces in his own urine. I talked to him several times throughout the day to say good-bye and tell him how much I would miss him.

Anyway, the vet & a vet tech/nurse came out within about an hour from the call. If you have never watched a pet be euthanized, it is very quick. Thankfully, Dee had warned me of that & I had read it, too. Within seconds, my baby was gone.

Butch buried him back in our woods in a spot that we can see from our window.

Even with Frisbee & Kramer, the house seems weird. Toonces always wanted to be in the same room with me, so he was always there. Kramer is more of a loner. (Although for the last 2 nights he has been around a bit more.) And, Frisbee wants to be in the same room, but wants to be pet and played with constantly. Toonces was just hanging out.

I know he had a very good, long life. But, that doesn't really help me to be less sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Tricia. Thank-you for taking care of Toonce for all of these years. You gave him such a good life. Remember how little he was when Jen brought him home? I always laugh when I think about him shredding that package of toilet paper all over our living room in Cynthia Place - it looked like it had snowed. Thanks for letting me know! Take Care!

Anonymous said...

It's ok for you to be sad and miss him. He was around forever - like Bitsy! And even though Kramer and Frisbee are there, I'm sure it is strange without Toonce. Took me a long time to walk in my door without looking for Bitsy. It takes a while, but you'll be ok. You did the right thing.

Raechelle said...

What can you say? I'm sorry. It's never easy. Big hugs to you...